Saturday, August 18, 2007

My First Experience With Quinoa


I finally made it down to the natural foods store walkable from my dorm, and picked up a whole bunch of fruits and veggies- local and organic carrots, peppers, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, onions, grapes, strawberries... I love summertime only because even expensive city produce goes for a reasonable price as fresh local produce gluts the market, and this little store is no exception. Now to use it all!

While I was there I picked up some quinoa, which I've heard so much about recently on the food blog rounds. I like it- plain it has a very light, kind of nutty taste, and this morning I made a light quinoa an veggie salad, as pictured above. Unfortunately most of the veggies are hiding in that picture, so here's another one:



See? Veggies!

Here's how I made it, although it's so easy it's barely worth a recipe, and next time I'll increase all of the veggie quantities:


Basic Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:

Cooked quinoa measured at 1/2 cup pre-cooking
1 carrot
1/4 cup red bell pepper (colour is up to you, or even a mix)
1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
3 scallions
2 tb mayonnaise
2 tb whole-fat yoghurt
salt

Instructions:

Chop up all of the vegetables into small pieces- how small is up to you.

Mix veggies, mayo, and yoghurt. Salt to taste.



See, that was really difficult, now wasn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love quinoa and use it as a substitute for rice all the time. So much healthier, and so tasty!